Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Why are TV sitcom daddies so dumb and silly? And why are their wives shrewds?

One thing that television and commercials never seem to fail on recycling over and over and OVER again is this new joke that daddies are silly dumb things that their wives need to take care of. I can name a few examples that are prime in sitcoms, not only in those that have a predominately white cast, but those shows that have been on that include minorities.

1. The George Lopez Show- I must admit, I LOVE watching this show. This was one of the only shows on television that had a normal Mexican/Cuban American family (ok, as far as normal goes)... The problem that I have had with George Lopez, although funny he may be, is that he has to be the one to get caught on lies and sexist jokes and his "WAPA!"s. Whenever he gets in trouble, Angie is there to tell him how wrong and how horrible he has been. Angie (played by Constance Marie) is constantly portrayed as annoying housewife who means well, but usually needs to butt out of people's business. The way that George treats Carmen as opposed to his son Max is also troubling...

I wont go into detail on the others because I don't watch them as often but here is a list of the few I noticed...

2. King of Queens- The characters go through various comical situations that sometimes include Carrie's (the wife) father, their friends, and neighbors. They both typically do "stupid" things from my viewing of the show, but it is Doug's moronic actions that are usually exemplified. Also, let's not forget the "hot wife, fat husband" dynamic going on here...

3. Everybody Loves Raymond- Ray and Debra and their children live across the street from Raymond's parents (his brother comes over a lot too, although I can't remember if he lives with his parents), who drive Raymond and Debra absolutely insane. It is obvious that Debra is the sane, dependable wife who is also a good mother. Raymond's mother is constantly picking on Debra's cooking and housecleaning regimen. Raymond is seen as a good guy who sometimes says and does stupid things, like the dumb and silly husband and daddy he is!...

4. Yes, Dear- Haven't seen too much of this show... Seems a bit like King of Queens...

5. Family Guy- Lois and Peter live with their three children Meg, Chris, and Stewie with their dog (Peter's best friend) Brian. It has been implied that Peter is mentally retarded many times, and I believe has been stated in a recent episode... One problematic element that is supposed to be amusing is Stewie's desire to kill his mother...

6. The Simpsons- This has a lot of the same elements as Family Guy...

Is it too much to ask for to have characters that are a little bit more complex than the above mentioned. I'm sure there are many more series that portray men and women in this way, which I think is unfair. Men are not "stupid" and women aren't "nice and responsible wives and mothers". People are a lot more complex than that in real life. I understand that these shows are sitcoms, and yes, I'm sure it would take a bit more effort to write a 30 minute show to have more complex and interesting characters, but I think it can be done...

I won't lie though, I watch a lot of these shows on a regular basis. It's a bit hard to watch these shows and not go "Why are the men always saying stupid things? And why are the women the smart passive responsible ones. How sexist" I think producers of shows need to give men and women a bit more credit....

No comments:

Post a Comment