Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Contemplating the End of the School Year...Updates...

So I just got finished with my Counseling test and I think it went pretty well. I am very glad that this semester is over with after tomorrow and that I can go back home and go to sleep in my own bed...

This whole school year has been tough on me. I have been through a lot of emotional and physical changes due to various events. I had a friend pass away and a friend almost die. I pretty much held back most emotions after the first good cry, and I think that these events have taken a toll on me without me fully realizing it. In addition, last semester with a particular class was very frustrating...Then I started on birth control pills to regulate my menstrual cycle, got glasses, and am dealing with the side effects of the Pill.

The spring semester was a different story...Still dealing with some of the above mentioned things, I dealt with the difficult teaching styles of a particular professor who taught 2 of my courses this semester...In the end, all is well, but it was still something to learn from. I think my mentality has not helped me at all with this school year, but I'm beginning to see the bright side, as I usually do in the end. I am thankful to those who have helped me get through it..

I'm going to start writing again probably later this week. I want to talk about a particular thing directly and indirectly relating to the new Arizona immigration law. I particularly want to talk about how White people view race and dismiss racism because of a technicality of a law, rather then the implications of it. This may be due to privilege and ignorance of the history of racism against various cultures...but I'd like to also discuss optimism with dealing with racial issues.

I am disappointed in the way people like to twist the words of this law into something that ignores the history of racism in Arizona and in the Southwest...It is so very easy to say "But, not all immigrants are Mexicans, REMEMBER?" Yes I know, but the constituents of color in Arizona are largely Mexican, not Canadian or Eastern European, so who do you really think is going to get asked for papers? Exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment